IELTS General Training – prove you have practical, everyday English language skills
IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations.
Take this test if you would like to:
- train or study at below degree level
- work or undertake work related training in an English speaking country
- emigrate to an English speaking country
- get a better job in your own country.
If you want to emigrate to the UK, find out more about IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Fee for the IELTS General Training test: €229
Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes (Listening, Reading and Writing) + 11-14 minutes (Speaking)
Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. When you book your IELTS test with the British Council, the test will take place in an official British Council IELTS test centre, whether your choose paper-based or computer-delivered.
If you take a paper-based test, your Speaking test may be offered:
- on the same day as the other sections of the test
- a day before (on Friday, when the main test day is on Saturday)
- a day after (on Friday, when the main test date is on Thursday).
You will receive notification about your Speaking test date a week in advance. If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates.