IELTS Academic – get ready for a higher education environment
The IELTS Academic test measures whether you have the level of English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher education environment. It reflects some of the features of academic language and assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training.
Take this test if you want to:
- study at either undergraduate or postgraduate level anywhere in the world
- apply for Tier 4 Student Visa at a university that is a Tier 4 Sponsor in the UK
- work in a professional organisation in an English speaking country.
If you are applying to a UK University that has requested you to take an IELTS for UKVI (Visas and Immigration). Find out more about IELTS for UKVI.
Fee for IELTS Academic: €229
Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes (Listening, Reading and Writing) + 11-14 minutes (Speaking)
Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. When you book your IELTS test with the British Council, the test will take place in an official British Council IELTS test centre, whether your choose paper-based or computer-delivered.
If you take a paper-based test, your Speaking test may be offered:
- on the same day as the other sections of the test
- a day before (on Friday, when the main test day is on Saturday)
- a day after (on Friday, when the main test date is on Thursday).
You will receive notification about your Speaking test date a week in advance. If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates.