UK Higher Education Institutions have some of the most internationally diverse student bodies in the world. They value the contribution that international students make to their student communities, and welcome students from the EU and the rest of the world.

We have prepared this list of frequently asked questions to help you find the answer you need quickly.

If you can't find the answer to your question in the list below, you are welcome to email us at and we will get back to you.

Can I get my certificates verified/ certified or translated at the British Council?

No. The British Council in Germany does not offer this service.  Please contact the institution requiring the certification and ask what other options they will accept for verification and/ or translation of your certificate. 

For example: the UK institution may accept a certificate (or stamped copy) sent directly from your (German or other foreign) university/ higher education institution that issued the original certificate / awarded the degree/qualification. 

You can find a list of professional translators in Germany on the website of the Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V.  

UK citizens might be able to get their documents certified at British consulates in Germany. Please find relevant information on this UK government website.  

Finding and applying for a course in the UK

Use the handy course search function on the UCAS website to search for courses of all levels by subject or institution. You can also find more information and descriptions of types of qualifications on the page: higher education courses and qualifications page. Find information on how to apply for a degree course in the UK on our Study in the UK page on that page you'll also find our tips on applying for undergraduate courses through UCAS.

Fees - what does it cost to study at a UK university?

The UK government announced on 23.06.2020 that from July 2021 EU students will be treated as all other international students and be subject to international fees at universities in England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have now announced the same thing. This means that each individual HE provider in England and Scotland will set the prices of their courses for international students. The prices of their courses depend on the university, place of study, subject and level of study, but can be between £10,000 and £26,000 per year for most subjects. Medical courses can also cost more. It is possible to pay pro rata for stays abroad of less than one year, e.g. one semester). Please see our Brexit pages for more information. 

Tuition fees for a year abroad or study visit to a UK university – where you are not graduating from the UK university – will be charged, it is best if you check directly with the university what the fees will be.

The universities are free to set the fees independently. Fees vary according to the subject studied, you can check these on the website of the university that you are applying to. 

For more information about Brexit, see our regularly updated page.

Where can I find information on scholarships and financial support for studying in the UK?

Information on financing your studies in the UK can be found on our website under scholarships and financial support.   

And a database of scholarships can be found on our Study UK website scholarships page. 

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

You will need to apply for a student visa if you are studying a course which is longer than six months in length. For more details about visas and how to apply for one, see our more detailed page about the UK’s EU-Exit and visit this Study UK page.


I’m a student advisor. What information do you have that I can share with my students who are interested in UK study?

Our Study Guide for Student Advisors in Europe (pub. March 2021) has all the relevant and up-to-date information on UK study, including an overview on the application process, deadlines, visas, fees, scholarships and funding, student life and more. 

How do I find a English Language school in the UK?

On the English UK website you can find information about learning English in the UK.  

You can also find an alphabetical list of British Council accredited language schools in the UK on our website.

Should you book through a German agent or tour operator, we recommend you to check that the language course is taught by a British Council accredited language school.

Can I sit UK school and other exams at the British Council in Germany (A-Levels, GCSE, Institute of Chartered Accountants etc.)?

No. The British Council in Germany does not offer the service of holding or invigilating external exams on our premises. 

How can I prepare for A-Level or GCSE examinations as a private candidate?

As far as we are aware there are no preparation courses available in Germany. You can prepare by self-study or enrolling in a distance learning course. You can find course providers e.g. on the website of the Open and Distance Learning Quality Council - (ODLQL) . We also suggest checking with the Examination Boards if they can recommend any course providers.

Where do I find information on living and working in Germany?

Information is available on the Make it in Germany website.  

Or try the general guidance on the EURES website – the European Job Mobility Portal Germany page 

The European Employment Services (EURES) UK website also provides information, advice and guidance on living and working in other European Economic Area member countries  

I'd like to stay in the UK to work after finishing my UK degree. Is this possible?

Yes. The Graduate Route visa comes into force in July 2021, allowing international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above to stay in the UK to work or look for work for 2 years (Bachelor/Masters) or 3 years (PhD). It is possible to work at any skill level on this visa. Graduates will be able to switch into skilled work once they have found a suitable job. For more information on the Graduate Route visa, see here