Please note: This is the policy for IELTS (Academic and General Training), you can find the UKVI cancellation and refund policy here.
Requesting a test day transfer or cancelling your IELTS test
If you need to change the date of your test from the date you originally booked, you can request a test day transfer. Alternatively, if no suitable dates are available, a cancellation may be requested under certain circumstances.
Please note: the new test date for a transfer must be within three months of the original date.
More than 5 weeks until your test date:
- No administration fee for test transfers
- An administration fee of 25% applies to cancellations
Less than 5 weeks until your test date:
Transfers and cancellations
- An administration fee of 25% applies
- Please fill in the Request for Refund or Test Date Transfer Form and send a copy (signed and dated), along with any supporting document (medical certificate*, C19 test result etc.) to email@example.com
Test day absence:
Transfers and cancellations
- An administration fee of 25% applies.
- Please fill in the Request for Refund or Test Date Transfer Form and send a copy (signed and dated) to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any document supporting one of the following:
- serious illness or medical incident (such as hospital admission or a major injury, Covid-19)*
- bereavement - loss of a close family member
- hardship or trauma (such as being a victim of crime or involved in a traffic accident)
- military service.
If we have not received your cancellation request along with supporting documentation/evidence by 4pm on the fifth working day after the test, you will be marked as absent and forfeit all claims.
If you receive a transfer to a new test date (either before the test or due to illness) and are ill on the second test date, then you are not entitled to a refund of the test fee nor to any further transfer to a new test date.
Candidates are not entitled to a transfer or refund if:
- the cause is different from those listed above
- the application is not accompanied by appropriate official documentation and/or evidence
- the application is made later than 5 working days after the test date.
*Important information about medical certificates:
- The medical certificate must be written in German or English.
- The certificate may be the “Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung” or a letter from your practitioner.
- We only accept copies of the medical certificate (Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung) that are not marked with diagnosis codes.
- We do not accept sick notes issued by family members.
- Test day absence: We only accept letters from practitioners stating inability to take an exam, hospital admission statements, or COVID19 tests as supporting evidence. We do not accept the "Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung" as proof of serious illness or medical incident.