UK Higher Education Institutions have some of the most internationally diverse student bodies in the world. They value the contribution that international students make to their student communities, and welcome students from the EU and the rest of the world.
Scholarships, grants, bursaries, financial awards, loans… there are many financial support options for international students who wish to study on a UK course.
You can search for UK scholarships and find out more on the scholarships and financial support page of our Study UK website. We also recommend you contact your university of choice for detailed information on the scholarships they provide.
Update from the UK Government
- EU nationals studying in England and Scotland from academic year 2021/22 onwards will no longer be able to access UK student finance support (tuition fee loans) or be eligible for home-fee status.
- EU nationals will be treated in the same way as other international students and pay ‘international’ fees which are set by individual HE providers.
- EU nationals can still access student finance in academic year 2020/21 (or before) for the full duration of their course.
- For more information, please see our webpages on the UK's Exit from the European Union, our Education FAQs and the UK government’s official statement.
For undergraduate courses
Students who are EU nationals studying in England and Scotland will not be able to access UK student finance support from 2021/22 onwards. Authorities in Wales and Northern Ireland have not yet announced any changes.
For more details about financial support for study in Wales and Northern Ireland, please contact the relevant finance institution below, depending on where in the UK you will be studying.
For postgraduate courses
The UK’s Research Councils provide financial support for studies and research initiatives.
The Prospects postgraduate funding search allows you to search by subject area and level of study.
Alternative funding opportunities
- Euraxess Funding Database A portal for researchers offering information and advice on how to finance study trips to and job opportunities in the UK for research staff and international researchers.
- Financial help for teacher training Website of the Department for Education’s Teaching Agency offering information on financial support for teacher training.
- IEFA International Education Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search. For US and international students. Offers scholarship searches according to subjects and/or country of origin.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offer financial support for studying, research and teaching abroad – find out more on their website.
- Germany's Federal Education Assistance Act (Auslands-BAföG) Financial support according to the German Federal Law on Support in Education (BaföG) is possible for German nationals, nationals of other EU member states under certain conditions (e.g. after five years of living in Germany), persons with registered refugee status in Germany etc. Additional conditions apply for support for studies abroad. The usual age limits (30 years, 35 years for postgraduate degrees) apply. The thresholds vary from country to country, but can be higher than those for education in Germany, which means that students who are not eligible to receive financial support through BaföG for studies in Germany might be eligible for funding for their studies abroad. Germans whose permanent residence is outside of Germany can be granted funding under certain circumstances if they study in their country of residence or a third state. Applications for financial support under BaföG should be made at least six months before the start of the course. In Germany, the Ausbildungsamt der Region Hannover is the authority responsible for dealing with requests in relation to the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland and has more information on its website (in German).
Student budget calculator
The student budget calculator will help you work out how to manage your money and build a budget for living and studying in the UK. It's free and easy to use!
Email us with specific questions or queries
We are here for you if you have a question or query about UK study. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org