We're delighted to announce awarded projects for the new pilot fund programme for international collaboration Cultural Bridge!
Cultural Bridge is a pilot fund that marks the beginning of a new bilateral partnership between leading German cultural institutions (British Council Germany, Goethe-Institut and Fonds Soziokultur) and the UK’s four nations’ arts development agencies (Arts Council England, Arts Council Northern Ireland, Arts Council of Wales/Wales Arts International, Creative Scotland).
The programme aims to act as a platform of exchange, enabling diverse arts practitioners to discuss social issues, whilst strengthening the exchange between the UK and Germany, and fostering cultural democracy. The programme will build new relationships to support intercultural exchange and dialogue in the field of participative arts and culture between Germany and the UK.
‘The Cultural Bridge pilot programme is an important step in strengthening cross-border collaboration between the UK and Germany. With support from the seven lead partner organisations, the participating exemplary local cultural institutions have discovered valuable common ground to forge new connections through this pilot. The programme and each of the new partnerships are based on the strong belief that cultural democracy in our societies is needed more than ever. Shared learning and development of new approaches to socially engaged arts practice through the Cultural Bridge is likely to be of benefit to us all.’
Mechthild Eickhoff, Managing Director Fonds Soziokultur
The following seven bilateral partnerships have been awarded funding in this pilot phase:
- ENTER – Kulturvilla Nellie, Lörrach, Baden-Württemberg + Creative Black Country, West Bromwich
- STAGING THE HIDDEN WORDS – Sommerblut Kulturfestival, Cologne + Writing on the Wall, Liverpool
- BRIDGIT ‘Building Better Bridges’ – Fine Arts Institute Leipzig (FAIL), Leipzig + Folkestone Fringe, Kent and Alchemy Film & Arts, Hawick
- NORTHSEA NEIGHBOURS – Das Letzte Kleinod, Schiffdorf, Niedersachsen + Shetland Arts, Shetland Islands
- ENSEMBLE UPVENTION – S27, Berlin + Govanhill Baths, Glasgow
- ODE TO EARTH – Die Villa, Leipzig + Beyond Skin and DU Dance, Belfast
- MIND THE GAP – University of Music Lübeck and Emanuel Geibel-Schule + Valleys Kids, Penygraig
Awarded projects will work in partnership with at least one participating German organisation and one from the four UK countries – England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland – to implement their socially engaged practice.
‘Our investment in international cultural collaboration helps promote understanding across borders and inspires artists and communities in England. With the new Cultural Bridge pilot programme, we are excited to be working with colleagues in Germany and across the UK to support creativity to help drive social change in our communities.’
Simon Mellor, Deputy Chief Executive, Arts and Museums, Arts Council England
The programme aims to act as a platform of exchange, enabling others to discuss social issues, strengthen the exchange between the UK and GER, and foster artistic collaboration and cultural democracy.
Follow the project's progress and latest updates on Twitter using the hashtag #CulturalBridge.