Here is a selection of frequently asked questions:
Frequently asked questions – British Council IELTS Award 2021
What is the British Council IELTS Award in Germany?
The 2021 British Council IELTS Award has been designed by the British Council to assist a high-calibre individual, with a strong motivation to develop his career and can also demonstrate the potential to contribute to society with his studies in Germany or abroad.
The successful applicant will receive an award up to a maximum of £10,000 to cover tuition fees for an undergraduate or postgraduate programme at an institution of higher education which accepts IELTS as one of the entry requirements. The payment will be made directly to the educational organisation where the successful applicant will undertake the course of study.
Who is eligible to apply for the British Council-IELTS Award?
Before applying, please make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria. You must:
- be aged 18 years or over on 31 July 2021
- have taken an IELTS test at a British Council centre in Germany and received an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2020 and 30 June 2021 issued by the British Council in Germany
- have achieved a minimum overall band score of 6.5, plus a minimum score of 6.5 in each of the four components of the IELTS test
- be planning to enrol in the 2021-22 academic year (i.e. starting August 2021 onwards) on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate programme taught in English at a university or other institution of higher education in Germany or abroad, which accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements (check the official recognition list.). The tuition fees of the programme of choice must be a minimum of £3,000.
- be able to provide an acceptance letter from the relevant educational organisation by 31 July 2021.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide evidence to support their application, such as a copy of their ID and a copy of their IELTS Test Report Form (TRF).
What is the application deadline for the 2021 British Council IELTS Award?
The online application form will be open to receive applications until 2pm on 30 June 2021 (German time).
Please note that it takes several minutes to complete the form and we strongly advise you to apply before the deadline in order to avoid disappointment. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered for the 2021 British Council IELTS Award.
How many awards will be available?
One successful applicant will be selected and will receive an award up to a maximum of £10,000 to assist with his or her tuition fees. If tuition fees of the successful candidate are below the maximum individual award fund of £10,000, the remaining fund may be allocated to support other runners-up.
What is the application process?
- Take an IELTS test at a British Council authorised centre in Germany and receive an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2020 and 30 June 2021 issued by the British Council in Germany. Please note that a TRF issued from a test centre outside of Germany cannot be accepted.
- Complete and submit the online application form by 2pm (German time) on 30 June 2021.
I have a disability. Can I apply?
The 2021 British Council IELTS Award is open to everyone.
What is the selection process?
1. Applications will initially be reviewed to ensure that they meet the 2021 British Council IELTS Award eligibility criteria and assessed by a panel of British Council/higher education representatives.
2. Five applicants will be shortlisted based on their applications, including their personal statement.
3. We will notify all applicants by email to inform them whether or not they have been shortlisted.
4. The final shortlisted applicants will be invited to an online interview by a panel of British Council/higher education experts. They will be asked to give a short presentation before being interviewed for final selection.
5. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide evidence to support their application, such as a copy of their IELTS Test Report Form (TRF), their ID and a letter of acceptance from the institution they plan to attend at the day of their interview (or by 31 July 2021 at the latest). Failure to provide the required evidence by the above deadlines will result in his removal from the 2021 British Council IELTS Award shortlist.
6. The final winner(s) will be notified by the end of July/beginning of August 2021.
The panel will be looking for a high-calibre individual who has a strong motivation to develop his/her career and who can demonstrate that he has the potential to contribute to society as a result of his study experience. The successful applicant will also be able to demonstrate his commitment to networking within the IELTS community and sharing his experience with other IELTS candidates.
How will the successful applicant receive the British Council IELTS Award?
The award will be paid directly to the educational organisation where the successful applicant will undertake their course of study, subject to the British Council officially confirming his application status with the institution.
What expenses will be covered?
The award can only be used to cover tuition fees for one academic year up to a maximum of £10,000, at the equivalent of euro or any other currency to be converted at the parity of the relevant currencies at the date of disbursement.
At which educational organisations can the British Council IELTS Award be used?
The 2021 British Council IELTS Award can be used for an English-taught programme at any educational organisation abroad or inside of Germany that recognises IELTS for the purposes of undergraduate or postgraduate admission requirements. You can search our worldwide list of recognising educational organisations.
Global IELTS recognition is growing all the time and if the educational organisation you plan to attend is not listed, we strongly recommend you to contact the institution directly for confirmation of their latest admission requirements.
Can I apply for the IELTS Award if I have registered for an IELTS test but haven't taken it or am still waiting for my results?
No, you can only apply with your IELTS score and if your score meets the minimum eligibility requirement of overall band 6.5, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the four components.
Can I apply if I am waiting for an acceptance letter from my educational organisation?
Yes. Only shortlisted applicants will have to provide an acceptance letter from the educational organisation they plan to attend. This organisation must use IELTS scores to satisfy their English language requirements for admission.
I took the IELTS test at my educational organisation, not at a British Council centre. Can I apply for the IELTS Award?
Yes, if the test was administered by the British Council at your school or educational organisation and you received your scores on an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2020 and 30 June 2021, issued and stamped by an official British Council centre in Germany.
Am I eligible for the IELTS Award even though I already have partial funding through another programme or loan scheme?
Yes, you are eligible. You will have to give details of other funding sources in your application. If you receive partial funding through a scholarship or award programme that doesn't cover the full tuition fees of the institution you are applying for, the British Council IELTS Award will pay the remaining amount of the tuition fees (up to the maximum of GBP 10,000). However, if you are applying to other grant authorities, you are advised to check if they allow you to receive another award.
I already have a tuition award. Am I eligible to apply?
No, you are not eligible. If you receive an award that covers your full tuition costs after you apply for the British Council IELTS Award, you must inform us immediately and we will no longer consider your application. If we find that you have not disclosed full details of any other awards, we reserve the right to withdraw or terminate the British Council IELTS Award.
I have a valid IELTS score. Can I apply for the award?
You can apply for the 2021 British Council IELTS in Germany if you provide an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2020 and 30 June 2021, issued and stamped by an official British Council centre in Germany.