Apply for the British Council IELTS Award 2022 and receive up to £10,000 to fund your studies worldwide!
Creating opportunities that can change lives, we established the British Council IELTS Award in order to assist high calibre individuals who have a strong motivation to develop their career and who can demonstrate that they have the potential to contribute to society with their studies.
The award will enable successful applicants to study at an undergraduate or postgraduate level at an institution of higher education anywhere in the world (in Germany or abroad), in an English taught program that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements.
The British Council IELTS Award is worth between £3,000 up to £10,000 depending on the tuition fees of the institution chosen by the winner and will go towards the cost of tuition fees of the individual's selected course. The award applies only to courses in the 2022-23 academic year (i.e. starting August 2022 onwards) and will be paid directly to the institution.
If tuition fees of the successful candidate are below the maximum individual award fund of £10,000, remaining funds may be allocated to support other runners-up.
The successful applicant will demonstrate a commitment to networking within the IELTS community and sharing their experience with other IELTS candidates.
To be eligible to apply for the British Council IELTS Award Germany 2022 you must:
- be aged 18 years or over on 31 July 2022
- have taken an IELTS test at a British Council centre in Germany and received an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2021 and 30 June 2022 issued by the British Council in Germany
- have achieved a minimum overall band score of 6.5, plus a minimum score of 6.5 in each of the four components of the IELTS test
- be planning to enrol in the 2022–23 academic year (i.e. starting August 2022 onwards) on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate programme taught in English at a university or other institution of higher education in Germany or abroad, which accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements (check the official recognition list.). The tuition fees of the programme of choice must be a minimum of £3,000.
- be able to provide an acceptance letter from the relevant educational organisation by 31 July 2022.
Check the IELTS official recognition list to find out if the educational organisation of your choice accepts IELTS.
Global IELTS recognition is growing all the time and if the institution you plan to attend is not listed, we strongly recommend you contact the institution directly for confirmation of their latest admission requirements.
- Application deadline: 30 June 2022 (14:00, German time)
- Interviews (online) of shortlisted applicants: August 2022
- Submission of acceptance letter received from relevant educational organisation: 31 July 2022 at the latest
- Notification of final winner(s) and all applicants: August 2022
How to apply
- Take the IELTS test at a British Council authorised centre in Germany and receive an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2021 and 30 June 2022 issued by the British Council in Germany. Please note that a TRF issued by a test centre outside of Germany cannot be accepted.
- Complete and submit the online application form by 14:00 (German time) on 30 June 2022.
- Applications will initially be reviewed to ensure that they meet the British Council IELTS Award eligibility criteria and assessed by a panel of British Council/higher education representatives.
- Five applicants will be shortlisted based on their applications, including their personal statement.
- Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide evidence to support their application, such as a copy of their IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) and a copy of their ID.
- The final shortlisted applicants will be interviewed (online) by a panel of British Council/higher education experts. They will be asked to give a short presentation before being interviewed for final selection.